Saturday, April 20, 2013

Sight Word Mania



I can't believe there is only a month and a half of school left!  It is definitely crunch time in my class and one of my focuses is ensuring all of my students have mastered the Pre-Primer, Primer, 1st grade and 2nd grade sight word list. 

There are several different ways that I teach sight words, but my two favorites are the sight word sticker book / activity sheets and "Tiger Tap".

Tiger Tap words are placed right by the inside and outside of my door.  Whenever a student enters he/she taps the word and reads it.  By the end of the day, the student has "tapped" the words 5-10 times.  I place the words in a sheet protector with a piece of black construction paper.  I place the other words behind the construction paper, which makes it very easy for me to switch words and it lets me know which words I have already used.  It is such a simple and informal way to teach the words... plus the students LOVE it!  FREEBIE - Click the picture below for the complete 1st grade list!   All the sight word lists (PP - 3rd) are available for purchase in my store for just $3!




The sight word sticker book allows my students to learn the words at their own pace, I can easily track their progress, and they love seeing their own progress.   I have them create flash cards for the new words they need to learn.  I made some  folders to help them organize their cards into "Words I am Learning" and "Words I Know" zippy bags --- they LOVE transferring their learned words to the "Words I Know" bag.  Everytime they learn a list they get a sticker!  I spend 10 minutes every morning testing about 5-6  kids.


I created activity pages and task cards for them to use for practice in centers and as early finisher work.  Click below for a freebie!   It includes word work task cards, activity pages, and a sticker packet for the pre-primer list.  
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Freebie-Sight-Word-Activity-Pack-Word-Work-Kindergarten-1st-364269

I love using these activity sheets in my class!  I print out the words I focus on for the week and have the students complete them in a center as a sight word book. It's great for handwriting, spelling, and sentence formation practice.

  I have them for the Pre-Primer, Primer, 1st Grade, 2nd Grade, and 3rd grade!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/1st-Grade-Sight-Word-Activity-Pages-Word-Work-452600

Looking for all the Dolch sight word lists and corresponding activities?  
Check out my Ultimate Sight Word Activity Mega Pack!  It is a bundled pack with 285 pages worth of sight word goodies!  If you need a word work or sight word center ready to go, this is for you!  It has sight word sheets, task cards, recording sheets, games, and even a sticker book.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Ultimate-Sight-Word-Activity-Pack-Aligned-w-PP-3rd-Grade-Dolch-Lists-364209
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Ultimate-Sight-Word-Activity-Pack-Aligned-w-PP-3rd-Grade-Dolch-Lists-364209


No comments:

Post a Comment